Salmon potato cakes, black garlic mayonnaise and iceberg salad
Great way to use left over salmon and I love san choy bau, so I wrap the mini fish cakes in ice burg lettuce
Black Garlic mayonnaise
40g Peeled black garlic (Fawk Foods)
2 Eggs (free range)
25ml Rice wine vinegar
480ml Vegetable oil
5g Sea salt
40g Sour cream
1 Spanish onion diced
1 bunch Coriander
1 bunch Shallots
2 no. Long red chilli
2 no. Limes zest
To taste Sea salt
1 head Ice burg lettuce
5 no. Eggs
150g Panko breadcrumbs
100g Plain flour
1. Peel and dice potatoes into 2 centimeters rough cubes, place in a saucepan of cold water with 2 pinches of salt.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
3. While the potatoes are cooking dice fish into 1 centimeter cubes, toss with sea salt, place on a baking tray and cook in oven at 85°c for 8 minutes.
4. Once fish is cooked, flake into small pieces in a bowl and place in fridge.
5. Drain water off the potatoes and mash and cool in the fridge.
6. Pick coriander leaves and finely chop half of them.
7. Dice Spanish onion, slice shallots and chillies.
8. Add mashed potato, onion, chopped coriander, sour cream and half of the chilli to the bowl of flaked salmon.
9. Mix everything together, season and taste.
10. Weigh mixture into 50g balls, spread evenly on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
11. Using a 6cm ring cutter place over fish cake and press to the edges, repeat this over each fish cake, then place in the freezer for 1 hour to firm up.
12. Meanwhile this is a great time to prepare the mayonnaise with the method below.
13. You will need 3 bowls for crumbing, one with flour, beaten eggs and panko breadcrumbs.
14. One at a time flour the fish cakes, dip each side in the flour and dust off the excess and place back onto the tray.
15. One at a time proceed to plunge into the egg wash drip out for 3 seconds and then roll in panko breadcrumbs. Then place fish cakes back onto the tray and they are ready to cook.
Black Garlic mayonnaise
1. Crack eggs into tall cylinder measuring jug or you can use a bowl.
2. Add black garlic, vinegar, salt and water to the eggs.
3. Stick blend on a high speed for 1minute or until blended smooth.
4. Continue to stick blend while slowly pouring in the vegetable oil until thick, creamy and fully emulsified.
Cook and serve
1. Cut the core from the ice burg lettuce, peel leaves away and wash.
2. Slice each lime into 8 wedges and set aside.
3. Heat a large saucepan with 80ml of vegetable oil to medium heat.
4. Place 6 fish cakes into the pan and cook until golden brown, flip over and repeat on the other side. Drain fish cakes on paper towel. Repeat with remaining cakes.
5. Serve fish cake in a lettuce cup with a dollop of black garlic mayonnaise, sprinkle of shallots, chilli, coriander leaves and a wedge of lime.